Here’s a fun way to teach your kids about chemical reactions, the power of pressure and geysers all in one fun experiment. All you need are a few items that you can find in most stores or online. Your kids will think it is the coolest thing ever.
Look below to see a video of a Geyser Tube in action!
Things you’ll need:
• 2 Liter bottle of Diet Coke
• A package of Mentos mint candy
• Steve Spangler’s Geyser Tube (optional, but far more entertaining)
STEP 1 – Find an open outdoor area (preferably one that can be sprayed with diet cola and not cause any problems) and set up your Diet Coke 2 liter bottle. You may want to stabilize it using a terra cotta flower pot, cinder block or some other sturdy base that will prevent it from tipping over while the bottle’s contents are shooting skyward.
STEP 2 – Attach your Geyser Tube to the opened 2 liter bottle per the instructions included with the Geyser Tube.
STEP 3 – Load the Geyser Tube with the Mentos candy. Make sure the pin is inserted into the shaft of the tube first, or else you’re gonna get wet!
STEP 4 – When all observers are ready, pull the pin from the Geyser Tube to drop the Mentos candy into the soda.
STEP 5 – Within a second or two, a chemical reaction will occur causing the soda to shoot out from the bottle and spray many feet into the air! Repeat as often as you wish. Enjoy!
Tips & Warnings
- Stand back and don’t point the geyser at any observer’ s faces.
- This is a great experiment for a home school family!
- You may waste alot of money on Coke and Mentos doing this. Restrain yourself!
- Don’t do this indoors. You’ll not be happy with yourself afterwards.